The following article is being reproduced with permission of its author, Kate Towell. Kate is a holistic wellness counselor who supports individuals to create the balanced, vibrant life they imagine.
This time of year I love making soups, stews and chili. These one-pot-wonders are great time savers, healthy and delicious. I make them often and have already shared a few of my favorite recipes with you.
I saw this recipe on Kris Carr’s fan page and thought it looked interesting. I switched a few things up and added veggie broth, celery and red pepper to the recipe. It turned out very tasty. I served it with organic corn chips and topped with cheese.
Apple Carrot Quinoa Chili
Adapted from a recipe by Crista Lash posted on Kris Carr’s fan page.
- 2 cans of chopped stewed tomatoes
- 1 -2 cups of veggies broth (depending on your preferred thickness)
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can northern white beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 sm. onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large red pepper
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 large carrots
- 3 small apples – I used 1 granny green smith and 2 honey crisps
- 1-2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 – 2 teaspoons each
- chili powder
- maple syrup
- sea salt
- Cook quinoa according to the directions. Set aside.
- Coarsely chop the onion, jalapeno, celery and red pepper. Finely chop the garlic. Sauté in olive oil over medium heat in large pot for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the stewed tomatoes.
- Add all 4 cans of beans (rinsed), veggie broth and 1 teaspoon of each spice: curry, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and chili powder.
- Coarsely chop the apples and carrots and add to the chili.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cacao and then taste the chili.
- Add maple syrup and more seasoning to taste.
- Add cooked quinoa prior to serving.
Serve the chili with your favorite cornbread, corn chips, cheese or other favorite toppers.
In my practice I support busy folks to create a life they love through the everyday wisdom of Ayurveda. By exploring food and lifestyle choices in a holistic way I guide you on a practical and personal journey into what it takes to create vibrant living; mind, body and Spirit.