From a Snohomish Fire District 7 news release.
Firefighters arrived to a duplex residential structure with fire showing from the back of the residence extending to the attic. Crews confirmed all occupants had evacuated and began an offensive fire attack.
A hose line was stretched to the structure for fire attack, while vertical ventilation was performed from the roof. The fire was extinguished within minutes of the first arriving companies.
Crews were able to contain the fire to the chimney firebox and to a small portion of the attic. Nearly all of the residents' personal belongings were saved. There were no injuries. The Red Cross assisted the residents.
Overall, 18 fire personnel responded. The Snohomish County Fire Marshal's Office determined a chimney fire breached the metal flue and extended into the attic. Damages were estimated at $25,000.
The home did not have working smoke alarms on the floor of the bedrooms.
Working smoke alarms are crucial as they provide the early warning needed to get out safely.
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement.
- Test alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
- Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once a year. If an alarm “chirps,” warning the battery is low, replace the battery right away.
- Replace all smoke alarms, including alarms that use 10-year batteries and hard-wired alarms, when they are 10 years old (or sooner if they do not respond properly).