From an Everett Public Schools News Release.
New classroom materials to be implemented during the 2017-18 school year in grades K-5.
The district’s elementary literacy selection team, which will include two parents, will spend this year reviewing core reading programs and learning materials to be used by elementary students starting in the fall of 2017.
The team’s work will result in a recommendation to the superintendent. Core instructional materials are adopted directly by the school board.
Each parent representative will need to have a child currently enrolled in an Everett Public Schools elementary school.
Selection team responsibilities:
1. Evaluate the literacy curriculum materials.
2. Recommend what curriculum materials the school board could consider approving.
3. Attend and participate in all of the team meetings, scheduled for full days on:
- October 3
- November 1, 22 and 28
- December 2 and 9
- January 5, 19 and 31
- February 1 and 23
4. Be aware that other meetings might be needed in the process. Therefore, each team member must be flexible as we work together through this important process.
How to apply to be a team member:
Email Holly Martinez, Curriculum Specialist-Elementary Literacy, by 4 p.m. on Wednesday, September 28, 2016, with the following information:
1. Your name, address, preferred email address and phone number.
2. Names of school(s) a child or children in your family attend.
3. Grade(s) of your child or children.
4. A statement of your availability to attend the meetings listed above and your willingness to attend others as needed.
5. A response to the question, “What motivates you to give your time and talents to helping the school board make a decision about classroom materials for the elementary literacy program?”
6. A response to the question, “What is your experience with elementary literacy education?”
How other parents will be involved:
All district parents and the community will be invited to learn about and comment on curriculum materials during open houses in January or February 2017. More information will be available about those meetings later this fall.
If you have any questions, please email Holly Martinez or call 425-385-4061.