With Super Bowl Sunday coming up it's time to think about what to serve your guests. Instead of the usual store bought packaged treats why not make a healthier choice with this simple to make, tasty recipe.
I would like to thank my friend and neighbor Tomoko Bryant for this vegetarian lasagna recipe. It's easy to make, uses spaghetti squash instead of noodles and it looks and tastes delicious!
It's a no rules kind of recipe, have fun with it and change it up with whatever ingredients you prefer or have on hand. I made it a couple of weeks ago and added pancetta, it was quite delicious and made great leftovers.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 x Spaghetti Squash
- 1 x Large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 x Cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 x Tbs olive oil
- Fresh tomatoes smashed with tomato sauce and tomato paste or 2 x 14.5oz cans fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 x Package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 x Package of fresh basil, torn or shredded
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16oz grated cheese (parmesan and mozzarella mix inside and low fat mozzarella for the top) - or whatever kind of cheese you like
- 4-6oz pancetta (optional)
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, length wise and scrape out all the seeds. Place on a baking sheet cut side up and bake for one hour at 300 degrees. After it's cool enough to handle, using a fork, start scraping the squash. It should be stringy like pasta noodles – this will replace your lasagna noodles.
- While the squash is in the oven make the sauce: Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil. Add the pancetta if you're using it and saute a little longer. Add the crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper. Cook for 30 mins or more and then add the fresh basil. You could also use a store bought sauce and jazz it up, there are no rules here.
- Construct your “lasagna” by starting with a layer of squash noodles, top this with a layer of sauce and then a layer of cheese. Repeat the layers using plenty of cheese on the top.
- Pop back in the oven for about 30 - 45 mins. Serve when the top is nice and brown.