From an Everett Public Schools News Release.
Largest-ever competition with over 900 competitors
Two Everett Public School’s high schools and one middle school traveled to Yakima, Washington, and competed at the largest-ever Technology Students Association (TSA) state competition with over 900 competitors March 16th to 18th, 2017.
“Inspired by Marcus Amalachandran, Jackson High School 11th-grader and new TSA state vice president, our chapter really shined!” shared Judy Baker, JHS TSA advisor.
Jackson High School had 12 teams earn gold, silver or bronze awards making them eligible to compete at the national level in Orlando, Florida.
Cascade High’s TSA team also earned recognition at state by placing third in the On Demand category.
“On Demand is a 48-hour, on-site video competition,” explained Scott Shafer, Cascade High TSA Advisor. “Team members Sonja Henderson and Calie Bouma had a line of dialogue and a prop that had to be used in a one-minute film.”
Cascade’s Elijah Greisz earned fifth-place in the Essays on Technology category.
Evergreen Middle School’s TSA team also competed at state.
“It was our first time competing!” shared Rachel Sadri, Evergreen Middle TSA advisor.
“Our video game team members, Nick Fisher, Brian Hanley and Jamal Simmons, were finalists! Everyone was excited and is looking forward to doing even more next year.”
“I can't wait to do this next year,” was the comment heard by most Evergreen team members. “I know how to make it better."
Jackson High School Winners
State winners (eligible for Nationals in Florida)
- Architectural Design: Andrew Hyun, Harshu Musunuri, Dhruvik Parikh, Justine Teoh
- Digital Video Production: Marcus Amalachandran, Arka Bhattacharya, Ryan Chu, Andrew Hyun, Dhruvik Parikh
- Fashion Design: Elizabeth Kim, On Kwon
- Flight Endurance: Wilson Tam
- Tech Problem Solving: Anuj Vimawala, Sam Wang
- Webmaster: Marcus Amalachandran, Arka Bhattacharya, Iman Haji, Kevin Liang, Dhruvik Parikh
- Debating Tech Issues: Ryan Chu, Dhruvik Parikh
- Promotional Graphics: Niha Gaddam
- Coding: Marcus Amalachandran, Kevin Liang
- Digital Video Production: Niha Gaddam,. Lam Pham, Pranav Shekar
- Flight Endurance: Marcus Amalachandran
- SciVis: Kirsten Allison, lman Haji , Claire Hsu, Harshu Musunuri, Andrew Stratford
- Architectural Design: Iman Haji, Louis Ta
- CAD 20: Andrew Hyun
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing: Ryan Chu, Andrew Hyun
- Music Production: Hannah Han, Lam Pham, Pranav Shekar
- Software Development: Elliott Cho, Derrick Choy, Junu Lee, Kevin Liang, Rafi Sevilla, Dat Vo, Braden Whitman
- Children's Story: Seo-Yun Chon, Hannah Han, Stella Kim, Yenny Park
- Debating Tech Issues: Daniel Sohn, Anuj Vimawala
- Video Game Design: Seo-Yun Chon, Hannah Han, Stella Kim, Yenny Park
- Biotech Design: Arka Bhattacharya, Claire Hsu, Harshu Musunuri, Justine Teoh
- Engineering Design: Seo-Yun Chon, Hannah Han, Stella Kim, Yenny Park
- Essays on Tech: Arka Bhattacharya
- Extemporaneous Speech: Dhruvik Parikh
- SdVis: Alexis Kim, Anny Qiu
- Structural Engineering: Elizabeth Kim and On Kwon, Anuj Vimawala and Sam Wang, Andrew Kim and Kevin Liang, Nicoletta Gilbertson and Megan Lu