Board President Jeff Russell resigned December 1, 2013. Replacement will serve through 2015.
By Mary Waggoner, Everett Public Schools Director of Communications.
School Board Vice President Carol Andrews announced the process and timeline for qualified applicants to submit application materials the board will consider in appointing a successor to former member and president Jeff Russell. Russell created the vacancy when he resigned his position December 1, 2013, subject to board acceptance of his resignation during the December 10th regular board meeting.
Andrews explained the two ways that qualified citizens can be considered for appointment to the vacant position. “Someone may be nominated. If a nominee so chooses, he or she must indicate interest in the position by providing application materials.”
“Or,” she added, ”individuals may directly apply for the position themselves; people do not need to be nominated to apply for this position.”
Upon request, the superintendent will make available a summary of school board member responsibilities and meeting dates. Potential applicants or those considering submitting nominations for the vacant position are also invited to review school board information on the district website school board pages.
“People considering this position might find particularly helpful the background material on the Web in BoardDocs,” Andrews noted.
- To be qualified, an applicant must be a United States citizen, a resident within Everett Public Schools district boundaries and a registered voter.
NOMINATIONS accepted December 3rd through Friday, December 13th
- Any citizen may nominate a qualified applicant by the December 13, 2013, 4:30 p.m. nomination deadline.
- The superintendent will provide those nominated with a summary of school board member responsibilities and will solicit from each nominee a biographic sketch as well as a statement about his or her interest in being a board member. Nominees who choose to respond with application materials must meet the application timeline and process described below.
APPLICATIONS accepted December 3rd through Friday, December 20th
- Interested citizens must submit application materials.
- An application packet must include a biographical sketch of the interested candidate, a statement about an applicant’s interest in being a board member, and his or her name, residential address and contact phone number. An email address should be provided.
- Application packets must be received by the December 20, 2013, 4:30 p.m. application deadline to Superintendent, Everett Public Schools, 3900 Broadway, Everett, WA 98201, by U.S. Postal Service or in-person delivery.
- Application information may also be submitted by email to email@example.com and received by the December 20, 2013, 4:30 p.m. deadline.
Candidate nomination and application materials are subject to public disclosure under Washington’s Public Records Act.
Board selection process and timeline
- On January 6, 2014, the Everett Public Schools Board of Directors will convene at 5:30 p.m. to review the applications received by the submission deadline. Candidates’ qualifications will be discussed in executive session. The board will select up to five finalists in open session.
- Candidate interviews will be conducted in open session. Candidates selected for interviews will be given an interview time on January 9, 2014, with the first interview beginning at 3 p.m.
- Following open session interviews, the board may recess into executive session to discuss candidates’ qualifications and then will return to open session to decide whom to appoint to succeed Jeff Russell.
“Members of the public are encouraged to attend the public board meetings and interviews during this very important process,” Andrews emphasized.
New board member orientation
The newly appointed school director and newly elected director Ted Wenta, will be provided a day-long board orientation by the board, staff and others in a special meeting on January 24, 2014.