By Leslie Hynes, South Snohomish County Fire and Rescue Public Information Officer, August 27, 2020.
A family of six safely escaped a duplex fire north of Lynnwood early this morning after being awakened by their smoke alarms.
The fire was reported at 3:07 am in a two-story duplex in the 3400 block of Lincoln Way. Heavy black smoke was coming from the front of building when the first fire engine arrived.
Firefighters quickly gained control of the fire and kept it contained to the kitchen area. The other unit in the duplex was not damaged. No one was injured.
Red Cross is assisting the displaced family. The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office determined this was most likely a cooking fire. Damage is estimated at $35,000.
A fire like this -- in the early morning hours when residents are asleep -- has the potential to be deadly without working smoke alarms. In a fire, smoke is poisonous, hot and spreads fast. Working smoke alarms give you an early warning so you can get outside quickly.
Smoke alarm and fire safety tips:
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month, using the test button.
- Replace all smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old.
- Sleep with your bedroom door closed. This slows the spread of smoke, heat and fire.
- Make a home fire escape plan identifying two ways out of every room. Practice the plan with all members of your household.
South County Fire provides fire and emergency medical services with 14 neighborhood fire stations serving more than 250,000 residents of Brier, Edmonds, Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace and unincorporated south Snohomish County.