Written by Shaundy Muchin, Publicity Chair for the Relay for Life of Mill Creek.
The 2013 Mill Creek Relay for Life is in full swing! With 23 teams signed and 71 days till the event, they are well positioned to blow last years results out of the "Creek.” The event will take place June 1st and 2nd at McCollum Park and will be an event that you will not want to miss.
At Relay For Life events, communities across the globe come together to honor cancer survivors, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against a disease that has already taken too much. The funds raised truly make a difference in the fight against cancer – just ask one of the nearly 14 million cancer survivors who will celebrate another birthday this year!
Relay teams camp out overnight and take turns walking or running around a track or path at a local high school, park, or fairground. Relay events are up to 24 hours in length and, because cancer never sleeps, each team is asked to have at least one participant on the track at all times.
There are many ways to get involved:
- Survivors are honored throughout the event starting with kicking off the event with The Survivor Lap and then a welcome reception. There is no charge to register for Survivor's and we are looking to honor as many Survivors in the Greater Mill Creek Area as we can.
- Participate in the event day of as an individual.
- Form a team to "relay" the track for the entire event.
- Donate directly to the event.
- Purchase and dedicate a luminaria bag to be lit during the event to remember and honor a friend or loved one.
- Join our planning committee and take an active role in ensuring the success of the event. Our next meeting is Wednesday, March 27th at 7:00PM in the Mill Creek Council Chambers at City Hall.
Here is a link to the Mill Creek Event for more information. You can also reach out directly to Mike Todd, Co-Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and he will ensure that they get directed to the appropriate committee.
We would love to have you be a part of the fun and look forward to your support for the event in any way you are able.