From a February 28, 2019, City of Mill Creek project update.
The Mill Creek Sports Park has been under construction since January 2019 when FieldTurf USA, Inc. took possession of the field as the construction contractor. To date the contractor has removed the old field turf, all of the outfield netting, and the chain link from the fence posts.
The fence posts and rails are being repainted and gaps at the bottom of the six-foot outfield fence are being eliminated by installing additional chain link at the bottom rail.
Upcoming project tasks during the first weeks in March include installing new fencing and adding kick boards to protect the chain link fence from soccer balls kicked against the fence.
In order to protect the scoreboard from balls, angle iron brackets will be installed at the bottom of the board to create tension on the netting that will hold the net away from the face of the scoreboard.
All outfield netting will be replaced and new netting will be added to protect the skate park and toddler play area from errant balls.
The following tasks are yet to come on the project:
- Installing the in-ground mount base cutouts for Mill Creek Little League,
- Installing new turf, and painting lines on the turf for soccer and little league,
- Replacing the dugout gate latches,
- Bringing the fences themselves up to code by reducing the gap between the fence poles and the gates,
- Installing the 60-inch ADA-compliant gate,
- Replacing the old field, skate park, and parking lot lighting with LED lights, and
- Upgrading the speakers for the sound system to provide better noise control for game announcements.
FieldTurf USA is doing their best to stay on schedule and hopes to reopen the field by late April, despite recent weather challenges.
The view of Mill Creek Sports Park from home plate. Photo courtesy of City of Mill Creek.