Advertisement

Two injured in house fire east of Mill Creek

A woman and her young daughter were evaluated for smoke inhalation at an emergency room after escaping through a window when fire broke out in their rental home east of Mill Creek early Tuesday morning, February 25, 2014.
Fire District 1 and Fire District 7 firefighters responded to this fire east of Mill Creek. Image credit: Google maps.

By Leslie Hynes, Public Information Officer for Fire District 1.

A woman and her young daughter were evaluated for smoke inhalation at an emergency room after escaping through a window when fire broke out in their rental home east of Mill Creek early Tuesday morning, February 25, 2014.

Fire dispatchers received multiple calls around 12:30 a.m. reporting smoke coming from the split-level house in the 5600 block of 134th Place SE east of Mill Creek near Silver Firs.

Another renter, a man, and his girlfriend, who was visiting at the time of the fire, safely exited the house after a smoke alarm sounded. He told firefighters the woman and her daughter were already at the window and he helped them get out.

The woman and her daughter were transported by firefighters to Swedish/Mill Creek Emergency Room as a precaution.

Another woman also lived at the house, but was at work at the time of the fire.

Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire Districts 1 and 7 responded and had the fire under control within 15 minutes. They kept the fire contained to the living room area, but there was heavy smoke and heat damage throughout the upper level of the home.

The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was most likely started in an overheated electrical outlet that was being used to power a space heater in the living room. The investigator estimated damages will total more than $125,000.

The fire left the house uninhabitable. The renters did not have insurance and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

It's fortunate the smoke alarms woke the residents and allowed them to escape with only minor injuries.

Fire District 1 offers these tips to keep smoke alarms in working order:

  • Test alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
  • Replace batteries in smoke alarms twice a year. An easy way to remember is to change the batteries when you change your clocks to or from Daylight Savings Time.  If an alarm “chirps,” warning the battery is low, replace the battery right away.
  •  Smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old should be replaced.  Aging smoke alarms are unreliable and often are the source of nuisance alarms.
  • Make sure you have smoke alarms where you need them. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, in each bedroom and hallway.

Our featured sponsor

 

Tags: 

Our featured sponsor

Google ad